guix-devel

Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2018 16:13:53 +0200

Hello,

Benjamin Slade <address@hidden> skribis:

> Speaking from a user-perspective, I would be very much in favour of
> having modern Firefox and Chromium (appropriately de-Googled as much as
> possible, of course) as actual Guix offerings.
>
> And while there are lots of objectionable things about the www in 2018,
> I don't think being a GNU follower is likely to strongly correlate with
> being anti-web (I suspect the opposite, if anything).

I agree with both statements.  I do see things in today’s www that I’m
unhappy with, but I think it’s important to provide our users with a
recent browser.

I have to say that Andreas, Mark, Marius, and others who worked on
IceCat and Chromium packaging are heroes: it’s a huge effort and we can
be grateful for that!

Ludo’.