guix-devel

Re: OpenBLAS and INTERFACE64=1

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: OpenBLAS and INTERFACE64=1
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 09:02:07 +0200

On Sun, Sep 09, 2018 at 05:25:13PM -0500, Eric Brown wrote:
> I then set about to ensure that dependents also compiled without issue,
> and in fact all do (at least, no *new* failures) except for python-numpy
> and python-scipy, which Segmentation Fault on at least one test when
> linked with an OpenBLAS defined with 64-bit integers.

The problem is that applications have to allow for the 64-bit
interface and many have not been designed for that. I still want to
convert GEMMA and it is a pain. Trust C/C++ and the mess around short,
ints and implicit casting.

> Of course, it would be nice if each package can build, and also be
> possible for Fortran routines to handle large arrays.
>
> A few thoughts come to mind, perhaps in combination:
>
> * add a variant to the current openblas package

> * add compiler flags such as -fdefault-integer-8 to gfortran
>
> * create a new package, e.g. openblas64, perhaps with a suffix to the
>   library name which distinguishes a 64-bit version from a 32-bit
>   version

Yup. That is the way forward. Convert packages one by one and see if
things break. I would not trust numpy/scipy at this point to handle
64-bit correctly unless they explicitly converted.

Pj.