guix-devel

Re: Guix build output insufficient

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Guix build output insufficient
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 09:23:21 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

>> So I ran
>>
>>    guix build --log-file
>> /gnu/store/wk9qbhmdzs62mp40casrndcgm3p50m3b-diamond-0.9.22.drv
>>
>> which gave me
>>

>> /var/log/guix/drvs/wk/9qbhmdzs62mp40casrndcgm3p50m3b-diamond-0.9.22.drv.bz2
>>
>> which contains the build log for this failed build, including the "foo"
>> error message.
>
> Another thing we should capture somewhere is that some build systems
> create full log files. For example cmake creates elaborate output in
>
> CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log
> CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log
>
> inside the build directory (guix package -i foo -K)

This is more difficult and I think people should better look at the
build log.  “guix package -i foo -K” is not so common, I think, because
“guix build foo -K” exists for those cases where you want to debug a
build.

“guix package” is primarily user-facing, whereas “guix build” is for
people packaging things.

--
Ricardo