guix-devel

branched core-updates-next [WAS: Re: bootstrap: i686-linux now builds wi

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: branched core-updates-next [WAS: Re: bootstrap: i686-linux now builds without binutils, gcc seeds]
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 10:02:54 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:

>> Hmm, make check showed some silly errors, I needed this patch
>
> And I needed another one to get tests/builders.scm to pass.  And
> although it passes it builds most of Mes bootstrap in ./test-tmp, which
> takes quite a bit of time.
>
> Moreover, quite some other problems

OK, I fixed all 10 tests that the Mes bootstrap broke; make check now
shows no regressions so I created core-updates-next
0db65c168fd6dec57a357735fe130c80feba5460.

(There is one failure that's also present in core-updates, I will help
to look at that too.)

Special attention for two tests:

  tests/builders.scm: "gnu-build-system"
  tests/union.scm: "union-build"

These test now pass but they build most of Mes bootstrap in ./test-tmp,
which takes quite a bit of time with the new Mes bootstrap.

I suspect this is what Ludovic remarked that some tests may assume that
`gcc' can be built rather fast.  Thoughts?

TODO:
  * regenerate Mes bootstrap seeds, put them on ftp.gnu.org
  * slow tests: "gnu-build-system", "union-build"
  * doc: make "Reduced Binary Seed Bootstrap" subsection in Bootstrapping
  * doc: update “Preparing to Use the Bootstrap Binaries”
  * doc: update “Reducing the Set of Bootstrap Binaries”

janneke