guix-devel

Re: Outreachy - user video documentation for GNU Guix - Contribution

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Outreachy - user video documentation for GNU Guix - Contribution
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 10:07:42 +0200

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 1., H, 22:26):
On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 20:01:12 +0200
Marina Sarno <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello dear Björn,
>
> my name is Marina, I'm on my process of contributing to a project
> enrolled on Outreachy.
> I like the ideia of making the videos documentation for Guix.
> I have a question concerning the software to be used to make this
> videos and also if these videos should be a screen record only
> videos, self camera tutorials style or is it a totally free choice
> from the contributor?
>
> <i will be glad to hear from you soon,
>
> best regards,
> Marina

Welcome Marina,

Thanks for your interest.

Packaging kdenlive is currently in progress for GuixSD, so that is an option. Another option would be using ffmpeg directly to assemble the videos.
The minimal requirements were determined to be: a slideshow like video assembled from static images and timing data, support for subtitle files in multiple languages and support for multiple audio streams. These were determined on the basis, so that we do not require broadband connection from our applicants. If you have a connection with enough bandwidth available, the we are also open to other options. I suggest using screen record only style, so that we can more easily translate the videos later.
We also require, that the video can be assembled and edited by using free tools only. Otherwise we are open to options.

Best regards,
g_bor

Welcome Marina,

thank you very much for your interest!

Concerning your question: I started co-mentoring this project only 3
days ago. To not say anything wrong, I forward the question to Gábor
Boskovits, who is the main mentor and will answer in more details.

In General, you need to make a successful contribution to the project,
as is stated in the project page in more details.

A first start is to install Guix. Either on top of an existing
GNU/Linux installation, or standalone, either on bare metal or a
virtual environment.

See the Docs for more details:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Installation.html

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/System-Installation.html

Get familiar with Guix, just play around, install package, roll back,
etc.

Then make a contribution, by either adding a package definition or by
augenting the manual.

If you have any problems or questions or don't understand a topic please
ask on the mailing list or the #guix channel on freenode. The community
is very welcoming!

Happy Outreach!

Yours,

Björn