guix-devel

Re: [outreachy] am I in the right track to contribute

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: [outreachy] am I in the right track to contribute
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 13:41:00 -0300

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 1:17 PM Björn Höfling
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Laura,
>
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 10:08:44 -0300
> Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I don't know if is it OK to be telling you what I am/ I've been doing
> > these days, I kind of like doing so to have feedback, and also to let
> > you know
>
> This is exactly the way to go! It's good to hear where you stay, what
> you tried, where you succeeded, where you got stuck. If you get stuck,
> tell us about the paths you already tried out and why you don't get
> further alone.

Sorry for being absent for a day. After updating and upgrading my
computer, I am stuck trying to see why the sound stopped working. Yes,
this kind of thinks happen but just now?

> One thing that was today on the Outreachy mentors-mailinglist: If you
> finally made a contribution, please go directly on the Outreachy
> project page, select the Guix project and formally record your
> contributions. That's important to us and for the whole Outreachy
> project to see who/how many applicants are possible candidates for a
> project.
>

> > I installed guix on a VM with an Ubuntu distro and it worked fine - i
> > ran some basic commands.
> >  I am trying to install GuixSD over that VM too and on bare metal -
> > don't know if this two steps are necessary, but looking at the tasks
> > for Outreachy one items says that I will be doing documentation for
> > it.
>
> Concerning bare metal: Guix uses 100% Free Software und thus uses the
> libre kernel, not the normal vanilla kernel. That means some binaries
> included in the vanilla kernel are stripped off. Hickups might occur,
> especially with Network, WLAN and Graphics, compared to Ubuntu.

I thought that by installing bare metal ment installing it on a VM
without any operating system. I mean, putting the ISO there. I only
have one retro PC available with no OS where I could be trying that -
it is like 13 years old, and it is not a laptop.
> As always before installing a new OS, make backups of your data and
> configurations on that machine!
>
> > 1) should I write, at least for myself, the problems I've been
> > encountering in the whole process of doing everything?
>
> Yes, very good! I do that for myself too. It leads to good, reproducible
> bug reports, bug fixes, documentation fixes, blog entries and could also
> be used as a starting point for a screenplay for the videos.
Love doing this kind of things.