guix-devel

Re: Making javadoc reproducible

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Making javadoc reproducible
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 20:35:19 -0700

Hi Gábor and Vagrant,

Vagrant Cascadian <address@hidden> writes:

> There's been some discussion about this in Debian and in reproducible
> builds:
>
>   https://bugs.debian.org/783938
>

> https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/TimestampsInDocumentationGeneratedByJavadoc
>

> https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/issues/unstable/timestamps_in_documentation_generated_by_javadoc_issue.html
>
> Hope it's useful!

Thank you for the links!

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> writes:

> Björn Höfling <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont:
> 2018. okt. 12., P, 20:01):
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 19:35:51 +0200
>> Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
>> > 12., P, 19:00):

>> > Also we can simply turn off the timestamp generation
>> > unconditionally...
>>
>> Number 2 sounds good, and why not giving it a try to place it upstream?
>
> Ok, i will go for it, and try to get it upsreamed for jdk8 and jdk11.

Be sure to check out the links Vagrant posted.  Specifically this one:

https://bugs.debian.org/783938

In that bug report, Samuel Thibault says: "Perhaps javadoc could be made
to use by default the SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH environment variable when it is
defined?"  There seems to be agreement that teaching javadoc to honor
the SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH environment variable would be preferable to
unconditionally disabling the timestamp behavior.

--
Chris