guix-devel

Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)

From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Subject: Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 18:07:53 +0530

@Björn and @Gábor

Thanks a lot. It did work fine.

Now as the next step I assume, I have to add a new package.  I can see from there are lot many packages listed in the https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/ in alphabetic order. So should I find a new package and add it?

If it is to add a new package, I see the Anaconda Package missing there. And may be I could add that in the format mentioned in 4.1 defining package , is that correct?

 Or should I proceed with creating video tutorials for the steps I did until now ?

Thanks,
Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 5:22 PM Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Lakshmi,

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont:
2018. okt. 18., Cs, 13:46):

> Hi Lakshmi,
>
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:52:30 +0530
> Lakshmi Prasannakumar <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi Gábor,
> >
> > I have followed the Binary-Installation procedures and installed the
> > hello package to my root.
> > The next step I understand is to add another package from the list in
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/
> > I tried following this step to install a package from the list i.e.
> > 4ti2 1.6.7 using the below commands:
> > *guix package -i 4ti2 1.6.7*
> >
> > However, I got the error as :
> >

> > *guile: warning: failed to install localehint: Consider installing the
> > `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package anddefining
> > `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:     guix package -i
> > glibc-utf8-locales     export
> > GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"See the "Application
> > Setup" section in the manual, for more info.* Is it due my incomplete
> > GUIX installation or are there further steps to follow?

It is safe to ignore these warnings for now. If it causes any problem,
we can return to that,
but unfortunalety sometimes this is hard to debug on foreign distros.
You could try following
the instuctions in the warning, but it does not help then just ignore
them for now.

> I think there is no error. As it says, this is only a warning. Or is
> there anything else I have overseen in your message?
>
> If unsure, you can check the return code of the previous command by
> directly typing
>
> echo $?
>
> The return code should be 0.
>
> You can also list the installed packages in Guix and see if hello and
> 4ti2 are installed:
>
> guix package -I
>
> Note the CAPITAL I,
>
> You can also list the generations. As you first installed hello and in
> a second step you installed 4ti2, there should be at least two
> generations:
>
> guix package --list-generations
>
> The warning is about the locale. To get rid of it, do exactly what the
> warning says, and/or read the section of the manual that the warning is
> pointing to :-)
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Application-Setup
>
> Hope this helps, otherwise feel free to ask,
>
> Björn

Best regards,
g_bor