guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 08:17:08 +0200

Hi Larissa,

welcome to Guix!

I'm putting the other Mentors/Coordinators and the developer list on
CC. Please answer to the mailing list, so others can help you out too.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 17:51:56 +0100
Larissa Leite <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Larissa and I would love to contribute to the project.
> I am having some trouble finding where to start, so I have decided,
> after reading the reccommendations, to e-mail one of the mentors and
> introduce myself.
> I'm currently studying Media Production as an exchange student at the
> University of Lincoln, this project resonated with me the most,
> considering video editing is my passion and I love every opportunity
> to develop my editing skills.
> Besides editing, I would also enjoy helping with translation. I am
> Brazilian, so Portuguese is my native language, and I speak both
> English and Spanish fluently.
> If you could help me start my contribution, it would be great, I'm
> really excited to be a part of this project.

That sounds great. The first step would be to get familiar with Guix
and to make a contribution, that you can formally declare on the
Outreachy website.

To contribute, you can either prepare a package or update
documentation, though we would recommend packaging to get first
familiar with the system.

So your first step would be to install Guix or GuixSD and get into
it. You can either install Guix on top of another distro or you can
install GuixSD, the GNU/Linux-Distribution alone, either in a virtual
machine or a standalone hardware.

I think there is a link for both types from the Guix Outreachy site. I
will post them here too:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/System-Installation.html#System-Installation

You can pack whatever software you like and is missing in Guix, though
it could get hard depending on your choice :-) So in general for a
beginner are R-packages recommended, we have also importers for that.

If you have any questions, ask on the mailing list or on IRC. The
community is very welcoming and willing to help.

Yours,

Björn