guix-devel

Re: [outreachy] Further steps

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: [outreachy] Further steps
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 16:37:27 +0200

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 25., Cs, 16:17):

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 12:08 AM Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> > Hi Laura,

> > > I guess I could package some more R packages, and then let me know
> > > which ones you think are more convenient, or you find more appealing
> > > for Guix.
> >
> > All free R packages on CRAN are appealing from my perspective.  You can
> > also pick a package from Bioconductor, which might be a tad more
> > difficult, as that could depend not only on other Bioconductor packages
> > but also packages on CRAN.  Note that the importer does not
> > automatically switch between downloading from Bioconductor to
> > downloading from CRAN, so you may have to run the importer more than
> > once.
> >
> > Use “guix import cran -a bioconductor -r PACKAGE” — when it aborts you
> > may have stumbled upon an unpackaged CRAN package.
> >
> > R packages from Bioconductor should be added to the (gnu packages
> > bioconductor) module.
> >
> Yes, I was thinking that maybe a trade-off between learning new things
> and contributing with things that you need right now, that was why I
> was thinking of R packages. Maybe I could package one or two more, to
> practice doing so by myself this time, and then switch to another
> task, WDYT?

That would be great!

> BTW, I was trying to run guix pull, the one installed on top of my
> foreing distro - not the one in the guix environment - and I am
> getting this error, don't know why, I have already run guix pull
> before:
> :~/guix$ guix pull
> Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
> guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
> "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"

It seems that something is mixed up between the old and new guix pull,
I hope someone can provide some more insight. Ludo?

> > As far as learning new things goes: R packages usually are very simple
> > They rarely ever require changes to the build system, so you don’t get
> > to learn about the “arguments” field of the “package” DSL.
> >
> > Alternatively, you could look into making changes to the Texinfo
> > documentation.  For the project you would need to be somewhat familiar
> > with the manual, so it can’t hurt if you would edit it a little.  An
> > easy edit is to add a handful of address@hidden lines to places in the
> > manual
> > that currently miss them.  A address@hidden line adds a location in the
> > manual to the index for a given keyword, so that people can find
> > relevant places in the manual more easily.
> By the manual you, mean,
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/index.html#Top,
> or am I missing something?

There is the manual in the source tree, at doc/guix.texi.
The one on the website is generated from that.

> If that's the manual, please, let me know further steps to edit it,
> since I don't have much idea of how to do so.

You can modify the manual at doc/guix.texi, and send a patch
the same way you would do for adding a package. Please note,
that info is sometimes quite fussy about format, so try to rebuild
the manual after modifications.

> It also mentions that you need help for translations, my mother tongue
> is spanish, and I am good at translating documentation, at least in
> neutral latin american spanish, but I don't know if that is for
> another project - I followed the link: Translation Project.

You are welcome to help with translations if you can find the time for that.
Translation Project is a hub, where different projects can send there po files
for translation. Usually there are language communities for a given language,
and they are coordinating translation work. This is orthogonal to this Outreachy
project.

However, it would be nice if you could provide the translations of the videos,
once we get there,

> Regards!
> Laura
>

> > --