guix-devel

Re: [outreachy] Further steps

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: [outreachy] Further steps
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 11:55:21 -0300

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:37 AM Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> okt. 25., Cs, 16:17):
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 12:08 AM Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi Laura,

> > > All free R packages on CRAN are appealing from my perspective.  You can
> > > also pick a package from Bioconductor, which might be a tad more
> > > difficult, as that could depend not only on other Bioconductor packages
> > > but also packages on CRAN.  Note that the importer does not
> > > automatically switch between downloading from Bioconductor to
> > > downloading from CRAN, so you may have to run the importer more than
> > > once.
> > >
> > > Use “guix import cran -a bioconductor -r PACKAGE” — when it aborts you
> > > may have stumbled upon an unpackaged CRAN package.
> > >
> > > R packages from Bioconductor should be added to the (gnu packages
> > > bioconductor) module.
> > >
> > Yes, I was thinking that maybe a trade-off between learning new things
> > and contributing with things that you need right now, that was why I
> > was thinking of R packages. Maybe I could package one or two more, to
> > practice doing so by myself this time, and then switch to another
> > task, WDYT?
>
> That would be great!
Ok then, I start with a new R package, and then send the patch.

> > BTW, I was trying to run guix pull, the one installed on top of my
> > foreing distro - not the one in the guix environment - and I am
> > getting this error, don't know why, I have already run guix pull
> > before:
> > :~/guix$ guix pull
> > Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
> > guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
> > "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"
>
> It seems that something is mixed up between the old and new guix pull,
> I hope someone can provide some more insight. Ludo?
Yes please, I need to fix this before going on.
Here is what happened, so that I provide the full information
After having my patch approved, I ran git pull (on master branch, of
course, I then created branches)
I wanted to check that everything was fine, so I ran:
:~/guix$ guix package -s "^r" | recsel -p name description| grep '\S'
| sort >newR.txt
And got the output:
Command 'recsel' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install recutils
(which is strange, I have played with recsel before sending my
patches, when learning guix package command)
so i ran guix package -I, where recutils was effectively installed
However, I tried:
$guix package -i recutils
guix package: warning: Your Guix installation is 13 days old.
guix package: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
'guix package -u' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.
The package was installed after those warnings, and I was asked to
export env variables:
export PATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
export INFOPATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/share/info${INFOPATH:+:}$INFOPATH"
Did so, but when running again:
:~/guix$ guix package -s "^r" | recsel -p name description| grep '\S'
| sort >newR.txt
Got the output:
recsel: error: cannot read file description
And also got that error when running guix pull.