guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: HiPhish
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 13:30:52 +0100

I am really trying to understand the other side here, so please help me out on
this one. Let's say you have two people for the sake of simplicity, we can
call them Alice and Bob. Alice and Bob hate each other's guts, Alice is
unwilling to work on the team if Bob stays on the team, but Bob is willing to
work on the team regardless of Alice. Furthermore, Bob has already worthwhile
contributions under his belt, whereas Alice has done nothing yet, but she
might if Bob were to be remove.

And your choice would be to remove Bob from the team. Am I correct so far?
What sense does it make to remove someone who 1) has already a proven track-
record and 2) has shown that he is willing to control his emotions to focus on
the task, all in the hopes that 3) the other person might perhaps fill in the
void and 4) already has show to let emotions override work duty, and 5) has a
track-record of wanting people remove from the project?

Please explain to me how kicking Bob out of the team is supposed to improve
the project. I am really trying hard to wrap my head around the issue, but
this logic is entirely alien to me. Wouldn't it make more sense to just tell
people to keep any personal grudges out of the workplace and carry on? It is
not that the project management is preventing Alice from joining, she refuses
out of her own volition.