guix-devel

Re: [outreach] Help trying to create R package

From: Laura Lazzati
Subject: Re: [outreach] Help trying to create R package
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 16:44:38 -0300

I tracked it down:

The cause is that:

guix/import/cran.scm:

(define (latest-bioconductor-package-version name)
  "Return the version string corresponding to the latest release of the
bioconductor package NAME, or #F if the package is unknown."

actually returns #f. It's a bit said that this #f is not checked
further down. The problem is the package name. If you add an "r" before
the package name, it should work (suppose you fixed the first problem):

guix import cran --archive=bioconductor rtracklayer
Sorry for writing again on this topic.
Today I wanted to practice packaging an r package belonging to bioconductor, to then go on and read and work with texinfo.
After writing on IRC channel, I realized I already had this exact problem, but thought it was a problem of other packages.
I ran again this same command, and I am getting:

$guix import cran -a bioconductor rtracklayer
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.kBVFop
From https://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/src/contrib/rtracklayer_1.40.6.tar.gz...
download failed "https://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/src/contrib/rtracklayer_1.40.6.tar.gz" 404 "Not Found"
failed to download "/tmp/guix-file.kBVFop" from "https://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/src/contrib/rtracklayer_1.40.6.tar.gz"
Backtrace
(and the backtrace is the same).

I am also new to schemas, but opened guix/import/cran.scm and saw what Bjorn was saying. I don't know why if it is not the latest package there should be a false condition, but I don't know either why I am not getting the latest version from bioconductor if it is real that, for tracklayer the latest is 42 and that file does not exist.
Any ideas? Should I spend more time trying to figure this out or should I move on to another task, like knowing guix more deeply or learning texinfo?

Regards!
Laura