guix-devel

Re: First patch & hello

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: First patch & hello
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:58:25 +0100

L p R n d n <address@hidden> writes:

>> It seems that the commit message is missing here.  In this case the
>> complete commit message would be:
>>
>> gnu: Add font-manager.
>>
>> * gnu/packages/fontutils.scm (font-manager): New variable.
>>

> Do you know why it wasn't added? I used magit format-patch.

This is not done automatically.  You need to write the commit message
yourself.  Since you’re using Emacs you may be interested in the
Yasnippet snippets we offer for magit.  After enabling them you only
need to inputs “add<TAB>” to get this kind of message (you then need to
complete the package name).

>> Please remove the last sentence.  Please also reindent the description
>> string (there should be no indentation for following lines).  Also
>> please use two spaces after sentences.  “guix lint” will remind you of
>> these things
>
> Is there a way to specify a custom location for "guix lint"? A little
> bit like the "-L" option from "guix build" for example?
> I suppose the right way to invoke 'guix lint' should be to use
> "./pre-inst-env" in a local
> guix repository, but I didn't find where I was supposed to find it. :/

“pre-inst-env” tells Guix to use your custom version of Guix in the same
directory.  “./pre-inst-env guix lint foo” operates on your local “foo”
package.

>> Could you please send an updated patch to address@hidden
>>

> I will soon. I just tested to build the package with "rounds=2" and it
> seems the package isn't deterministic. Is it acceptable or a total
> no-go?

It would be good to check why it isn’t deterministic.  You can use “-K”
with “guix build --check --no-grafts” to keep the second output.  Then
you can run diffoscope on it.

You can also search the sources for __DATE__ or __TIME__ or maybe
“date”.  Often non-determinism is due to embedded build timestamps.

--
Ricardo