guix-devel

Re: Patchwork + automated checking and testing of patches

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Patchwork + automated checking and testing of patches
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 10:07:14 +0100

Hi!

Christopher Baines <address@hidden> skribis:

> This is still very much a prototype, but I think it's nearing the point
> where it actually might be doing something useful.
>
> Currently, taking the service running the FreeDesktop fork of Patchwork,
> you can go to the series page [10], and it will show you a list of patch
> series, along with a indication of the "tests" status, which currently
> is just whether the patch applied successfully to the master branch.
>
> 10: https://patchwork-fdo.cbaines.net/project/guix-patches/series/

The test part is nice!

> The Patchwork service running the upstream code is very similar, you
> just have to click in to the individual patches to get the information
> on the "Checks", for an example, have a look at [11]
>
> 11: https://patchwork.cbaines.net/patch/233/

Neat.

> Next, I'm planning to work on extending the test series job to actually
> start running some code, maybe perhaps just applying the patch, and then
> running make at first. Then maybe trying to use the (guix inferior)
> module code to intelligently determine changed packages that need
> building. If you have something that does this, or want to write
> something to do this, that would be awesome.

For this I would suggest building the code using (guix self).  You can
do that either in Scheme using ‘inferior-for-channels’ or with something
like:

  guix pull --url=file://… -p ./test-guix

As for determining the list of new and upgraded packages, see
‘display-new/upgraded-packages’ in (guix scripts pull).  We can separate
the computational part from the UI part in there.

Perhaps we could integrate the tests with Mumi as well.

Thanks for the great work!

Ludo’.