guix-devel

Re: NPM importer

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: NPM importer
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 10:29:49 +0100

Hi Guix,

sorry: reading at today messages from swdebugia and your comments below
I realize that mine was just noise from a packaging-ignorant :-S

Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>>  https://spin.atomicobject.com/2016/12/16/reproducible-builds-npm-yarn/
>>
>> is yarn a viable solution to the NPM packaging problems?

[...]

> How different is it to build an npm package and a yarn package?

no difference

> Could you elaborate a bit on your idea?

I'm not able: I was mislead by the title of this article I cited

  https://spin.atomicobject.com/2016/12/16/reproducible-builds-npm-yarn/

"reproducuble builds" and "npm/yarn" seems like an oxymoron to me, now :-)

> We can already build packages with our wip node-build-system, as long as
> we have build- and run-time dependencies available. The real hard parts
> are: sometimes build-tools depend on what they build, there is just too
> many dependencies and some packages don't declare a license properly.

ACK, now I finally understand the problems

[...]

thany you for your patience

ciao
Giovanni