guix-devel

Re: util-linux and perl rename

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: util-linux and perl rename
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 20:25:48 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 22:10:24 +0100
Thorsten Wilms <address@hidden> wrote:

> I already had a "rename" binary via util-linux. Then I installed the
> package "rename", resulting in another "rename" binary, as I prefer the
> Perl version. This was a success in that I got what I wanted.
>
> However, should this name clash be considered a bug?
> Is there a policy for such circumstances?
> What happens that the newly installed "rename" gets precedence?

That depends.  If you installed "util-linux" into your profile and also
"rename" into your profile, you should have gotten a collision warning.

(If we ever get these cleaned up then we should make the remaining ones
collision errors)

I've just tried it with guix master, I get no collision warning.  I think
that's a real bug.

(Didn't those work in the past? *scratches head*)