guix-devel

Re: Installer and luks support.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Installer and luks support.
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2018 00:05:54 +0100

Hello,

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> skribis:

> I discovered an issue that also exist in other partitioning modes, and I
> don't know how to deal with it. The last step of the installer consists
> in:
>
> * Mount partitions on /mnt (depending on the result of partitioning
>   step).
> * Write the system configuration to /mnt/etc/config.scm
> * Start cow-store service
> * Run guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt
> * Unmount /mnt
> * Close luks mappings ---> fail, device is busy.
>
> It fails because at this step, the overlayfs created by cow-store is
> still present. To be able to close luks, I have to:
>
> mkdir /remove-store-overlay
> mount --move /gnu/store /remove-store-overlay
> herd stop cow-store
> herd stop guix-daemon
> kill -9 <all processes spawned after starting cow-store>
> umount /remove-store-overlay
>
> Doing so, everything is cleaned-up, and it is possible to restart the
> installer and run it again (in case the previous install failed or so).
>
> Does anyone have a better idea on how to clean-up the overlayfs of
> cow-store so that everything can be closed properly?

I suppose that if you run “halt” or “reboot”, everything is terminated
properly, right?  I’m not sure if you should worry beyond that; in
general, it’s reasonable to assume that people will reboot when the
installation is over, no?

Not really answering the question, but rather trying to see if we can
sidestep it altogether.  ;-)

Ludo’.