guix-devel

Re: Golang programs keeping references [gnu: go: Update default to 1.11.

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Golang programs keeping references [gnu: go: Update default to 1.11.]
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2018 19:46:03 +0100

I've investigated the possible solutions to avoid including the paths into the
binaries.

I've found this:

https://github.com/golang/go/issues/16860

It's still unresolved and only planned for Go 1.13.

In the meantime, I've played with the -trimpath option to see if I could get
something out of it.

I've added this to Go's (build) function:

              "-asmflags=all=-trimpath=/gnu/store"
              "-gcflags=all=-trimpath=/gnu/store"

The resulting binary is indeed trimmed, but that's not enough: it seems that
Guix detects the remaining part of the path as a store item and includes it in
the list of requisites.  Is this really how Guix works?  It does not need the
full path?

Go supports only one call to -trimpath, so we can't even set this to the Go
inputs.

Regarding Boyer-Moore over the binary, we would have to apply the changes for
all recursive Go libraries.  Now is there a reliable way to detect what's a Go
library and what is not?  We don't want to patch non-Go libraries, right?
(Let's not forget that there is CGo...)

If we can't think of a way to detect a Go library, Boyer-Moore does not seem to
be a solution either.  And we might have to wait for Go 1.13...

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/