[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Notes from the Guix meetup
Notes from the Guix meetup
Tue, 11 Dec 2018 18:22:48 +0100
Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/26.1 (gnu/linux)
Yesterday ~9 people showed up at the Guix meeting we had at Inria in
Paris. Below are notes I took of the different topics we discussed (we
came up with the agenda live.) The notes might not be perfectly
understandable as-is, so feel free to ask if you have any questions!
Thanks to everyone who came yesterday and made it a pleasant day!
- core-updates(-next) status report by janneke
- ~20 packages before we reach gcc/glibc
- maintenance burden
- redundancy between Mes & Guile
- strategy for bootstrappable Scheme?
- using Mes instead of Guile in bootstrap derivations?
- on wip-bootstrap: Gash used instead of “coreutils&co”
- able to build make, sed, gzip, bash
- Gash/Geesh merger
** user services & config
- example: running znc, jackd
+ user service
+ systemctl --user
- deploying Shepherd service + config
- what interface?
+ add to =guix package -m= manifests?
* would allow services to appear in the output of =guix pack= &
* add an =activate= script to source PROFILE/etc/profile *and*
start services (à la CONDA)
+ add a new separate command?
* that way people wouldn’t have to use manifests
- having a central view of user profiles
+ =guix package --list-profiles=?
- user the (gnu services) API?
- use case: web dev
+ “guix system vm” or “container” could fill that use case
+ note: fix “guix system container” to not require root privileges
** “skill share” (after lunch)
- (guix swh) (Ludo’)
- EXWM (Janneke)
- git worktree (Ricardo)
** HPC, “workflows”, and all that
- overview & status
- supporting “the cloud”
+ service that produces Docker/Singularity images
+ todo: produce layered Docker images like Nix folks
+ snakemake doesn’t handle software deployment
+ or does so through Docker
+ GWL = workflow + deployment
+ add support for Docker
+ add “recency” checks
+ data storage: IRODS?
- Docker arguments
+ security: handling patient data with untrusted “:latest” images
+ Guix allows for “bisect”
** substitute delivery
+ commercial CDNs
+ should be possible to opt out of the CDN (privacy issue)
+ CloudFront (Amazon), Fastly, Akamai
+ make it cdn.guix.info?
+ ability to cap expenses?
+ cost estimate? donation?
+ handcrafted mirror network
+ help people run their stuff
* provide GuixSD services
* have a shared list of publish services
* see the SKS key servers: geolocation-based DNS balancing
* requests are broadcasted -> privacy issue
+ requests are broadcasted?
+ make substitute servers accessible over Tor
- the graft issue
- you don’t know what’s going to be built
- monitoring of head/build nodes
+ currently lacking!
+ prometheus-node-exporter is per-machine, no aggregation
+ Zabbix? Nagios?
- replication of the berlin head node
+ using keepalived?
- replication of the Git repo?
+ contact members of https://gitlab.com/GNU/Guix
- organizational issues
+ example: rebooting berlin?
+ how to react to urgent matters?
** code review & automation
- patchwork limitations
+ cannot determine reliably whether something has been merged
- providing a ‘guix review’ command for patch submitters
- rationale: everything we provide as a service should be available
as a command for people to run
- runs ‘guix lint’
- runs ‘guix build’
- optionally builds reverse dependencies
- ‘guix apply NNN’ where NNN is a debbugs issue number
+ figure out what the latest version of the patch is
+ send email notification with mailutils?
+ or: update local database with issue status?
+ downside: we’d be reimplementing part of Patchwork
+ convention for Git branch names: “queue-NNN” where NNN is the
- automatic patch application as the horizon?
+ would allow substitutes to be available as soon as the patch hits
- ‘guix import’ as a service
- ‘guix refresh’ as a service with human approval
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- Notes from the Guix meetup,
Ludovic Courtès <=