guix-devel

Re: Re-approaching package tagging

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Re-approaching package tagging
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 07:51:08 +0100

On 2018-12-18 08:48, Catonano wrote:

Il giorno lun 17 dic 2018 alle ore 22:10 swedebugia <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> ha scritto:

    Hi :)

    On 2018-12-17 20:01, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
     > Hello,
     >
     > In the past when we've discussed package tagging, I think Ludo'
    has been
     > against it, primarily because it's a giant source of bikeshedding.  I
     > agree that it's a huge space for bikeshedding... no space
    provides more
     > bikeshedding than naming things, and tagging things is a many to many
     > naming system.
     >
     > However, I will say that finding packages based on topical
    interest is
     > pretty hard right now.  If I want to find all the available
    roguelikes:

     > address@hidden:~$ guix package -A rogue
     > hyperrogue    10.5    out     gnu/packages/games.scm:3652:2
     > roguebox-adventures   2.2.1   out     gnu/packages/games.scm:1047:2
     >
     > Hm, that's strange, there's definitely more roguelikes that
    should show
     > up than that!  A more specific search is even worse:
     >
     > address@hidden:~$ guix package -A roguelike
     > address@hidden:~$
     >
     > What I should have gotten back:
     >   - angband
     >   - cataclysm-dda
     >   - crawl
     >   - crawl-tiles
     >   - hyperrogue
     >   - nethack
     >   - roguebox-adventures
     >   - tome4
     >
     > So I only got 1/4 of the entries I was interested in in my first
    query.
     > Too bad!
     >
     > I get that we're opening up space for bikeshedding and *that's true*.
     > But it seems like not doing so makes things hard on users.
     >
     > What do you think?  Is there a way to open the (pandora's?) box
    of tags
     > safely?

    Yes and no.

    Pjotr and I have discussed this relating to biotech software. He said
    that many scientists have a hard time finding the right tools for
    the job.

    I proposed tight integration with wikidata[1] (every software in the
    world will eventually have an item there) and Guix (QID on every
    package
    and lookup/catogory integration) and leave all the categorizing to
    them.
    Ha problem sidestepped, they are bikeshedding experts over there in
    wikiland! :D

    The advantage of this is that everyone using wikidata (every package
    manager) could pull the same categorization so we only do it once in a
    central

    What do you think?

--

There is also the Free Software Directory
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

I don't know what the relationship between Wikidata and the FSD is

Does Wikidata import data from the FSD ? Or viceversa ?

I don't know. For now at least they keep reference to the FSD on software-entries that exists in the FSD.

We could integrate the FSD also but I have yet to investigate if they provide an API for their entries.

Anyways I view FSD as a subset of Wikidata/Wikipedia. Wikidata is the node and FSD the leaf. Wikidata/Wikipedia will probably within a few years contain the data or links to the data that now exists in the FSD.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only advantage of FSD over Wikidata & Wikipedia is that they do not include references to proprietary software at all.

In my view it is more feasible to compile the information on in a structured way in central node and then pull the relevant bits to the leaf.

E.g. FSD of the future could be generated from all wikidata-entries and extracts of wikipedia that are an instance of https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q341. This would avoid fragmentation and help concentrate on building a large shared collective source of all knowledge within the wiki-community. FSD could exist anyhow and surely help enrich the upstream data.

Similarly we could generate a wikipedia subset without any entries pointing to (evil) private corporations (any entries that is part of https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q5621421 or whatever). I can't imagine what this would be good for but it its possible.

I cannot imagine that the information in FSD would not be accepted in any of the wikimedia projects. I could be wrong though as I honestly did not visit or study the FSD very much.

--
Cheers Swedebugia