guix-devel

Re: awesome window manager configuration

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: awesome window manager configuration
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2019 09:44:42 +1100

Hi Joshua!

On Fri, Jan 04 2019, Joshua Branson wrote:
I recently started using the awesome window manager, and I'm curious if I can help edit the manual a bit. The current manual does not mention that to configure the awesome window manager, one must copy the configuration from /gnu/store/xmmqxby6bm...-awesome-4.2/etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua to "~/.config/awesome/".

My question is for now, can I add that information to the manual?

It would be great if you could add that to the manual! The usual advice for awesome is to copy it from /etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua, so it's worth documenting that it's different on Guix. It might be worth saying to copy it from the relevant profile, rather than the specific store directory. The profile would usually be either ~/.guix-profile/etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua (if it's installed as a user package), or /run/current-system/profile/etc/xdg/awesome/rc.lua (if it's installed as a system package).

My second question is what is the long term plan for integrating window managers with guixSD? Should be turn all window manager packages into services? ...

I don't think we need to do this. As long as they work (and are picked up by DMs) when installed as a package, I think that's sufficient. I actually don't even have Awesome installed as a system package - I install it as a user package and configure my DE (xfce, which is installed as a system package) to start Awesome from my user profile.

Carlo