guix-devel

Re: Communication and Design at Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Communication and Design at Guix
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:50:34 +0100

Hi,

L  p R n  d n    <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> A very concrete task that could be of interest to you is the “name
>> change” (a bit of a strong word) that we’d like to implement by 1.0.
>> I’ll try to summarize.  Currently we have “Guix” and “GuixSD”, and that
>> confuses things: people visit the web site, they see a “GuixSD” logo and
>> get confused because they were just looking for a package manager, not a
>> whole distro, or they think “GuixSD” is a storage device ;-), things
>> like that.
>>
>> The idea is to bring everything under the “Guix” name.  Most of the
>> time, writing “Guix” is good enough—after all, one can run ‘guix system’
>> on a foreign distro, too.  When we really need to make the distinction,
>> for instance in the manual, we would write “Guix System” to designate
>> what we currently call “GuixSD”.
>
> Hum. It might just be as easy as getting rid of the GuixSD logo and
> wording for the most part. Then we can find a *preferred* way to
> designate GuixSD (a Guix system (probably), Guix distro, Guix os).Here,
> it's more about making GuixSD "disappear" but we could also just rebrand
> GuixSD with some kind of "subtitle": "Guix, the system", derive a logo
> from the Guix's one. It depends a lot from what we want to put under the
> spotlight.

The idea is more to have a single “brand”: Guix.  Then “Guix System”
would be a component of Guix, so to speak, similar to GNOME and its
applications.

>> This has implications mostly on the web site and on the manual.  Ricardo
>> sketched web site modifications here:
>>
>>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-01/msg00300.html
>>
>> It would probably have further implications on how we present
>> Guix/GuixSD.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Yeah, thinking about GuixSD as a derivative is probably the best way to
> comprehend it. So give it its own leaf page is probably a good idea. I
> would keep all downloads on the same page though and just separate them
> visually. But it depends froms what I said previously.

Sounds reasonable.

Would you like to give it a go?  I suppose the changes to the web site
can be made incrementally, it’s not an all-or-nothing change.  If you’d
like to fiddle with this and you need guidance with the web site
machinery, don’t hesitate to ask on IRC or the ML!

Thanks,
Ludo’.