guix-devel

Re: Stating the size of ecosystems in descriptions (Was: Re: Gauche desc

From: Gabriel Hondet
Subject: Re: Stating the size of ecosystems in descriptions (Was: Re: Gauche description)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 15:52:54 +0100

Hello everyone,

On Wed 16 Jan 2019 at 13:53 Pierre Neidhardt wrote:

> Whichever number we provide will go out of date at some point.
> It's extra maintenance, and if we only put a rough number (e.g. 100k+) then
> it's
> not really meaningful in my opinion.

While I agree with this statement, I also think that Swedebugia's idea of
comparing the number of Guix-ported packages of an ecosystem with the
total number of packages in this ecosystem is interesting.

Couldn't something like

#+begin_src sh
  guix ecosystem pypi
#+end_src

which would retrieve the number of packages on pypi, compute the number
of pypi packages defined for Guix and output some statistics be done?

Gabriel