guix-devel

Re: ‘sudo’ leaves PATH unchanged… so what?

From: Caleb Ristvedt
Subject: Re: ‘sudo’ leaves PATH unchanged… so what?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 19:03:18 +0000

To be clear, it's not so much a real problem as an eyesore. 'sudo guix package ...' and 'sudo guix pull' will operate on root's profile(s) as expected, but that also means 'sudo guix system reconfigure' will look at root's profile when deciding whether to say that it's out of date, even though the guix actually used for reconfiguring may not be out of date. It pretty much only ever comes up when reconfiguring, but for those like myself who are worried by messages like that it can be confusing to try to resolve.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:33 AM Giovanni Biscuolo <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

Caleb Ristvedt <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd just like to add that if a user has guix installed for root but only
> really keeps their user's guix up to date (I imagine a fairly common
> situation), they're in for a weird situation when using sudo: a
> bleeding-edge guix will complain about being outdated, since sudo (even
> with -E) sets $USER, which is used to determine which file's timestamp
> should be used for deciding whether the installed guix is outdated.
> Basically, your shiny new guix warns you that someone else's dirty old guix
> is old.

if this is true (root and user profiles using different versions of guix
is a problem), should this be clearly stated in the manual?

maybe I'm missing something, but I thought root and user profiles were
isolated so I can have different binaries (guix included) and use them
independently, am I wrong?

Thanks!
Giovanni

[...]