guix-devel

Re: Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Merging ‘wip-newt-installer’ in master?
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 19:26:31 +0100

I've had a quick go and I must say I like it a lot!  Great job, Mathieu!

A few things:

- When booting on my desktop with a RX580 GPU, I end up with a blank screen.
Turns out that only the display is somehow failing (still investigating), but
pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2 brings me to the documentation!

I suggest we add a 10 second-timeout to the graphical installer so that if there
is no user interaction, it automatically switches back to TTY3 with an
explanatory message, e.g.

There was no user activity on the graphical installer which may be due to a
display issue.  You can proceed with the installation via command line from
here.
Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to go to the documentation screen.
Press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go back to the graphical installer screen.

- Add and extra warning before partitioning!  I did it wrong at first but I did
  not expect the installer to proceed straight away, I thought I would have a
  second chance at reviewing the changes before proceeding.

- More generally, I like the idea of a two-stage process: first collect the
  details from the user (without actually performing any change), then show a
  summary of the changes, ask for confirmation and only then apply all the
  changes in one go.

Thanks again for the great contribution!

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/