guix-devel

Re: GDM update!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GDM update!
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:18:43 +0100

Timothy Sample <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have some changes that are more-or-less ready.  It’s mostly just
> cleaning up, but it makes it so that GNOME does not have to be in the
> system profile for GDM to work.  (Note that the GDM service references
> GNOME Shell, which requires most of GNOME, but it doesn’t end up in the
> profile.)

Oh, are you saying that currently GNOME must be in the system profile
for GDM to work?  I hadn’t realized.

My goal was to have GDM instead of SLiM in ‘%desktop-services’, but
‘%desktop-services’ does not necessarily imply GNOME.  So I guess your
patches will be more than welcome!

>> The one thing I didn’t get to work is ~/.xsession support.  Any ideas?

[...]

> Debian provides a custom “Xsession” script and a custom
> “default.desktop” file, which runs the script with the special argument
> “default”.  With this argument, the “Xsession” does a bunch of stuff by
> running all of the scripts in an “Xsession.d” directory, including one
> that tries running “~/.xsession”.

If Debian does it this way, then maybe we should just follow suit.

>> BTW, at the Guix Days, there were discussions about defaulting to
>> LightDM instead of GDM.  I forgot to mention then that using LightDM
>> wouldn’t solve the GNOME use case; in particular, closing the lid under
>> GNOME wouldn’t lock the screen, and clicking the lock button wouldn’t
>> have any effect, which is pretty bad.
>
> Of course, it is good to have a nice alternative to SLiM that is simpler
> than GDM.  GDM is needed for the proper GNOME experience, but it is too
> much for most non-GNOME setups.  Ultimately, Guix is nice and
> configurable, so I’m everyone can find a way to be happy.  :)

Definitely.  I think we should default to GDM in ‘%desktop-services’ for
accessibility and localization and so that GNOME actually works out of
the box when people choose it, but obviously everyone is free to
customize their config!

Thanks,
Ludo’.