guix-devel

Re: Guix trademarked by Express Logic

From: Jelle Licht
Subject: Re: Guix trademarked by Express Logic
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 19:58:18 +0100

mikadoZero <address@hidden> writes:

> I have search guix-devel for this and did not find it.  I would like to
> [ snip ]
Thanks for looking into this.

> # Proactive name change
>
> Looking at the pug thread above shows that it would have been nice if
> Jade had not been forced to change their name so quickly and could have
> engaged it's community further on ideas for a new name.
>
> This raises the idea that proactively changing Guix's name might be
> better than reacting to a forced name change.  A benefit to a proactive
> name change is being able to chose the timing.  So for example the name
> change could be planned to coincide with the 1.0 release which I have
> heard is approaching.  Similar to a butterfly emerging from a
> chrysalis.  Maybe there is a opportunity here and this could be turned
> into a nice announcement.

I humbly disagree with proactively doing anything of the sorts; first of
all, there are two separate issues (as you mentioned):
- Are we allowed to call Guix Guix?
- Do we want to call Guix Guix?

As such, I think it is premature to proactively change something which
*might* not even be a (legal) problem at all, let alone something
desired by the community. I *do* agree that these questions should
probably be answered before 1.0 comes around.

> [ snip ]
> # Contacting Express Logic
>
> Also it might be good to reach out to Express Logic as they may not
> actually have any problem with the Guix free software project using the
> name they have trademarked.

I really think that "software" is much too broad a category to consider
for a trademark clash in this case. From what I can see, there is barely
any overlap between our Guix and the GUIX product that Express Logic is
working on. This might just be my vocational bias in action as a
software engineer though, and of course; I Am Not A Lawyer.

> # Summary
>
> I am not recommending any specific course of action.  I just want to
> start a discussion.

Point taken :-).