guix-devel

Re: Guix on the ASUS C201PA

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix on the ASUS C201PA
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:23:22 +0100

Hello!

Timothy Sample <address@hidden> skribis:

> I was able to get Guix to boot on an ASUS Chromebook C201PA.  This model
> of computer is pretty neat.  It’s an ARMv7 (32-bit) machine that can be
> run with entirely free software.  There is even a free graphics driver
> in the works [1].
>
> I’ve attached a (messy) patch that adds a (hacky) bootloader definition
> for Depthcharge and a Linux-Libre package that works on the machine
> (using an unsupported version of Linux-Libre).  All those parenthetical
> comments are supposed to suggest that this work is not really finished.
> Now that the computer runs Guix, it should be straight-forward (if time
> consuming) to fix some of these problems and arrive at something nice.

Impressive work!

The patch is really not what I expected given the qualifiers you gave
above.  :-)  It could use more comments to explain what’s going on but
apart from that it looks rather clean to my eyes.

What do you think would be the best course of action to integrate it?
Wait for Vagrant to test it and fix a couple of things?  ;-)  Or…?

Thank you,
Ludo’.