guix-devel

Re: Guix on the ASUS C201PA

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: Guix on the ASUS C201PA
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 11:20:25 -0400

Vagrant Cascadian <address@hidden> writes:

> With libreboot re-installed, it's working for me as well!

Hooray!

> I haven't tried just applying the minimal patches and/or configuration
> on top of Guix's linux-libre, but that seems like a logical next step...

One thing worth trying might be to turn off the patches in PrawnOS
kernel, to see if they make a difference for booting.  I think it is
mostly the configuration that is making the difference.

Also, I wrote a little script (see attached) that looks for semantic
differences in kernel configuration files.  I’ll attach it in case you
could use it.  My approach was to compare the PrawnOS and Arch Linux ARM
configurations against the Guix one, and find things that former two
have in common that Guix lacks.  To this end, you can run

    guile --no-auto-compile kconfig.scm guix.cfg prawnos.cfg alarm.cfg

and it should tell you all the things that both the working
configurations explicitly enable (either as “m” or “y”) that Guix does
not.  (I found the output a little cleaner than using “diff”, “sort”,
and friends.)

>> I did manage to get the rockchip.usb_uart with a hacked up USB cable to
>> produce a serial console for debugging and actually seeing the kernel
>> logs rather than them scrolling pass the screen only to give a kernel
>> panic.
>>
>>   (kernel-arguments '("console=ttyS2,115200" "rockchip.usb_uart"))
>
> To be clear, this feature doesn't actually make a serial console over
> USB, it somehow "rewires" one of the USB ports to have a ground, rx and
> tx serial-ttl pinout. So you pretty much need a custom USB-A plug and
> solder/crimp the bare wires to a serial-ttl adapter. Slightly more
> details in Documentation/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt.

I made one of these cables, but wasn’t sure if it worked, and I didn’t
know what settings I needed in the kernel to make it work.  Thanks for
figuring this out!  I hope that it gives you a nicer way to debug the
kernel when it boots to a white screen.

Thanks for testing and working on this.

-- Tim