guix-devel

Re: librsvg & Rust

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: librsvg & Rust
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 17:53:06 +0100

Hi!

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>>> I wanted to ask about this: is Rust supported on all the platforms we
>>> support at the moment?
>>
>> According to Efraim and Danny, we have a problem at the moment.
>> Presumably that can be worked around?
>
> Right, Rust currently only works on x86_64.  In order to get this branch
> started, let us either:
>
> * Revert back to 2.40.20, or
> * Conditionally use the new version on supported platforms
>
> For the latter, I imagine something along the lines of...
>
> (define-public librsvg
>   (if (string-prefix? "x86_64" (or (%current-target-system)
>                                    (%current-system)))
>       librsvg-2.44
>       librsvg-2.40))

It would have to be a macro so that the conditional is evaluated in a
context where (%current-system) and (%current-target-system) have the
right value, like the ‘glibc’ macro we had until commit
2d546858b139e5fcf2cbdf9958a17fd98803ac4c.

> Preferences?

I have a slight preference for having the same librsvg on all platforms.

So we could add 2.44 alongside 2.40, but keep using 2.40 until our Rust
package works on all the platforms.

That said, if the chances are that Rust won’t work on all 4 platforms in
the foreseeable future, the other option (upgrading on platforms where
Rust is supported) may be preferable.

Your call!  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.