guix-devel

Re: Declarative containers

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Declarative containers
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 22:49:57 +0100

Hello,

thanks for your feedback Ludo'! :-)

[...]

> Given that we already have ‘guix system container’, declarative
> containers are a low hanging fruit.

"low hanging fruit" is much more expressive than "last mile" :-)

> We could have a ‘container’ (or ‘sub-system’?) service;

mumble: `container` is so abused that it's starting to become a buzzword
to my ears, `sub-system` is probably more semantic

> you’d pass it an <operating-system> and it’d create a Shepherd service
> that runs that OS in a container.

what is the method used to instantiate containers with Guix?
I know lxc/lxd and systemd-nspawn but can't still understand what's used
here

> That would be fun!

yep, a *lot* of fun

also, given Guile homoiconicity a web based (who wants web based
interfaces?!? bah?) and/or declarative orchestration system built on top
of Guix+GWL would be the next (not so low) hanging fruit :-D

uh, if only I was able to hack in guile... I'll get there but I'm so
sorry I cannot help _now_ :-S

Gio'.

--
Giovanni Biscuolo