guix-devel

Re: XDG_DATA_DIRS issue in execution environment on LTSP

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: XDG_DATA_DIRS issue in execution environment on LTSP
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:22:20 +0100

Hi Meiyo,

Meiyo Peng <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> According to the XDG Base Directory Specification [1]:
>
> #+begin_quote
>   If $XDG_DATA_DIRS is either not set or empty, a value equal to
> /usr/local/share/:/usr/share/ should be used.
>   If $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is either not set or empty, a value equal to /etc/xdg
> should be used.
> #+end_quote

Thanks for the quote, I missed to read that

> And according to my experience, $XDG_DATA_DIRS and $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS are
> not set by default on Debian.  So they should be set to their default
> values before adding extra paths to them.

Ha ha: now I understand!

> Thus I have this code snippet in my login shell's config (fish rather
> than bash).  Fish script is very easy to understand.  I think you can
> translate it into bash.

Yes, it's very clear, thanks!

> #+begin_src fish
>   if status is-login || status is-interactive
>       set -gx MY_PROFILE "$HOME/.guix-profile"
>
>       # Guix on foreign distros.
>       # This test is a dirty hack.
>       if test -d /var/guix && ! test -L /run/current-system

This is to distingush if Guix is running natively (which means we do not
need to "manually" set our env) from Guic on forein distros: right?

[...]

>           # XDG
>           # ==========> Look at here! <=========
>           # Set $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and $XDG_DATA_DIRS to their default
>           # values if they are not set.
>           test "$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS" = "" && set -gx XDG_CONFIG_DIRS "/etc/xdg"
>           test "$XDG_DATA_DIRS" = "" && set -gx XDG_DATA_DIRS
> "/usr/local/share:/usr/share"

Got it: I have to port this to my bash ~/.profile, thanks!

[...]

> [1]. XDG Base Directory Specification
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

Thanks! Gio'