guix-devel

Re: Status update on 1.0

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Status update on 1.0
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 19:56:43 +0100

>> I don't think we should release 1.0 until at least
>> <https://bugs.gnu.org/34454> and <https://bugs.gnu.org/34528> are
>> fixed.  Trying a new distribution only to find your favourite programs
>> are crashing would be a _terrible_ first impression.
>
> Do we have any leads on this IceCat issue?  I use IceCat daily and never
> have any problems of this sort, FWIW.

I’ve seen something like this before, but *only* on i686 machines.  I
never managed to figure out why.

Can we be sure that this is not due to stale configuration files?  (This
is a medium-sized problem affecting a number of packages that won’t go
away soon.)

> The GNOME branch may be mergeable on time, along with ‘staging’.
> Ricardo?

One of the GNOME update branches (for 2.28?) has already been merged
into staging.  There are rumours of crashes, though, so this will
require testing by more people.

The other GNOME upgrade that I worked on months ago still awaits a
rebase onto staging.  I’ll try to get it into good shape to have the
build farm build it out, so that more people can test it and provide
fixes where needed.

--
Ricardo