guix-devel

Re: Video narration

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Video narration
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 19:21:02 +0200

Hello,

Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019.
ápr. 1., H, 20:02):

> Hi Paul!
>

> > I have finished updating the transcripts and I am preparing to do the
> > recordings tomorrow.
> Great! Could you remind me in UTC at which time of the day? Because I
> generally have to record them at 00 UTC to reduce the environmental
> noise. And then match them.
> >
> > One question about the makefile: am I right in thinking that the
> > makefile automatically adjusts the duration of each slide according to
> > the duration of the corresponding audio file?  In other words it would
> > not matter if I supply audio files that are slightly longer (or
> > shorter) than your originals?
> Yes, the slides videos take the duration of the audio file. And the
> cli session videos, let me check, but they are easier in terms that
> you have to say what is said during while listening to the audio, to
> match the command.
> >
> > > Shouldn't the 'guix environment' step be later in the list of steps?
> > > If I was packaging the aspi package I would do:
> > >
> > > $ guix environment --pure r-aspi
> > > The environment was set up in the first packaging video. As far as I
> > > am concerned, the idea is to have a clean guix environment and
> > > package
> > > everything there. If you are using a foreign distro then I believe
> > > that it could not be reproducible if you package it first.
> > > Please, let the others correct me if I am wrong.
> >
> > I think that this question has to do with the complexity of the
> > package.  The aspi example is a simple case that does not have any
> > dependencies outside the R build system.  For a more complex package
> > (newPackage, for example) using:
> >
> > $ guix environment --pure guix
> > $ guix build newPackage
> >
> > would fail if newPackage has extra inputs.  Instead, the commands
> > should be:
> >
> > $ guix environment --pure newPackage
> > $ guix build newPackage
> >
> > I think this would be easy to communicate to new users if steps 1 and 2
> > are switched on Slide 2 and I add some extra words to the transcript.
> >
> > Do you (and others) agree?
> When I packaged, I did it the other way, and my mentors approved them.
> Recall that you are "touching" .scm files from your the guix you have
> installed if you do it the other way around. But if the others can
> shed some light it would be great. In case I am wrong, I would need to
> change not only the slides but also the cli sessions :/. In that case,
> could you reschedule the day for the recordings?

Sorry, I am late to the party. To clarify things, the following is
happening here:
1. at first guix is built from source, in a guix environment guix
2. the package is added
3. the package build is tested using pre-inst-env guix build package

So, the environment is not for r-aspi, but to get to the exact environment where
the pre-inst-env was built, so the third step is reproducible.

Does that make sense?

> Regards :)
> Laura

Best regards,