guix-devel

Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 09:34:31 +0200

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 09:19:01AM +0200, Mathieu Othacehe wrote:

> Hello Florian,
>
> > Not using KMScon would prevent support for the Chinese and Japanese
> > language during install, would it not?
>
> Yes and for other languages too.

Other languages could work with a console font appropriate for the
language, I think.  Only a limited number of characters can be
supported, but the limited number is sufficient for other languages
once the appropriate subset of characters is selected.  Nevertheless
Chinese characters are important and too many.

> > Currently there is no support because
> >
> > · the Chinese and Japanese locales are not added to the installer, it
> >   only includes glibc-utf8-locales,
> >
> > · there is no translated PO file for the installer yet anyway,
> >
> > but otherwise it would work, would it not?
>
> Yes, I tried to add Japanese translations into an existing PO and it
> worked fine with the installer.
>

> > However, this means in particular that
> >
> > · when using KMScon, the installer should change the locale that gets
> >   used once it is selected,
>
> It's done :)
>

> > · when using mingetty, the locale should only be changed for languages
> >   other than Chinese and Japanese,
>
> When using mingetty, the logic with the patch you tested is to fallback
> to a raw terminal and force a "manual" install.
>

> > · the console font should be changed to match the locale similar to
> >   console-setup on Debian.
>
> The installer uses GNU Unifont so that most unicode characters are
> covered.
>
> Mathieu

OK, thank you!