guix-devel

Re: VM image: can we simplify its use?

From: Daniel Jiang
Subject: Re: VM image: can we simplify its use?
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 13:38:23 -0500

Hello,

I think I can help! Missed the deadline for GSoC application because of school stuff but that shouldn't stop me from contributing to Guix. This sounds like a task on a level I can accomplish (though I might still need some guidance/pointers of where to start).

Sincerely,
Daniel Jiang

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 3:48 PM Leo Famulari <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 04:56:51PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I had criticism about the VM image:
[...]
> Thoughts?

Originally I added the VM image to address a specific use case at one VM
hoster. I had hoped it would catch on more than it did and that the VM
image would be improved to avoid these manual steps.

In the meantime, people are using the VM image just to try out Guix —
for example, in a local QEMU instance.

It doesn't give a great impression, so let's change it.

We should offer something like a "Live Guix" image for people to try the
full Guix system without installing anything, and this should be more
fully-featured than the current Guix VM image.

Let's replace the current VM image with this "Live Guix" thing for the
next release :) Should we adopt 'desktop.tmpl' for this?

Eventually we should also offer a Guix system service that works like
cloud-init [0] and can replace the manual work around networking,
partitioning, etc. Help wanted!

[0]
https://cloud-init.io/