guix-devel

Re: ISO installer image: GPT versus MBR partitions

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: ISO installer image: GPT versus MBR partitions
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 18:40:40 +0200

A friend’s “early 2014” MacBookAir6,2 does not have issues with the
old iso image.  It seems likely that only old Macbooks are affected.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 02:27:10PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > I change it to
> >    80  00  02  00  01  01  12  4f  01  00  00  00  3f  0b  00  00
> > I dd the changed mysdc2.img back to /dev/sdc2.
> >
> > Now it boots. :)
> > […]
> > Strangely, I now have only one entry “GRUB 2.02” in
> > the boot selection, but “EFI Boot” (or what it was called) is gone.
>
> What do you see if the partition entry is zeroized entirely ?

I see both “GRUB 2.02” and “EFI Boot” when I zero it (I have not tried
on Guix 0.16.0 this time though).

So the options are:

· Update mtools and then somehow patch mformat to zero out this
  region.

· Patch grub-mkrescue instead to make it use mformat -k.  Vladimir
  Serbinenko on the grub-devel list said this removes only information
  that is “Probably” not useful anyway, see
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2019-04/msg00100.html

· Ignore the issue.  The only affected machines we know are old Macbooks.

Regards,
Florian