guix-devel

Re: [Non-root Guix]: Unable to build guix

From: rohit yadav
Subject: Re: [Non-root Guix]: Unable to build guix
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 16:17:40 -0500

Ricardo,

Thanks for pointing that out. I have gone through that. However, none of those options are applicable here. All of those at some point requires root permission. The proot is the only option but it is terribly slow and also several time does not work with dispatching jobs etc (do not have real example but had felt difficulty beyond slow speed).

For now I am managing with Nix but I need something that is portable to older kernel. Unfortunately, at several work places that is the case.

Regards,
Rohit

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 3:35 PM Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

rohit yadav <address@hidden> writes:

> I am trying to prepare guix for installing at non-root location. I have
> followed the documentation available here:
> https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/INSTALL.org#error-in-procedure-scm-error-no-code-for-module-gcrypt-hash

I forgot to say that we discussed the various non-root installation
methods on the Guix HPC blog:

https://guix-hpc.bordeaux.inria.fr/blog/2017/10/using-guix-without-being-root/

I hope you’ll find this useful.

--