guix-devel

Re: GNOME

From: Raghav Gururajan
Subject: Re: GNOME
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 12:03:02 -0400

In continuation to my previous email in this thread, I would like to make some changes in what I wrote:

To Ricardo Wurmus, Timothy Sample and Mark H Weaver!

Regarding GNOME Core Applications and modifications to current "gnome" package, FYI, I have filed this https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35586.

Recently, I have been given this link (https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps) which lists all GNOME Core Applications that are to be added to guix's gnome package.

Whether or not to do this, I think the package with the name "gnome" in any distribution should always reflect the vanilla gnome suite released by GNOME Project. Any modification to it, I think, should be packaged under different name like "gnome-minimal" or gnome-extras" etc. This can be a good standard.

My suggestion is,
gnome --> With Core Apps
gnome-minimal --> Without Core Apps ( Provides only dm, wm, menus, settings etc.)

INFO: Core Apps can be found at https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps.

Also, based on the above, I think we also need to create/enable new value "gnome-minimal" for the data type "gnome-desktop-configuration" of the variable "gnome-desktop-service-type". Value "gnome" can still be default though. Power users can change the value to "gnome-minimal".

This can provide good modularity and thus provides choices to users. For example, 1) If a user needs full-blown GNOME, "gnome" can be chosen, 2) If a user needs only minimal GNOME, "gnome-minimal" can be chosen, 3) If a user needs minimal GNOME with select core apps, "gnome-minimal" can be chosen under service and individual needed core apps can be added under system packages.

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

To Ricardo Wurmus, Timothy Sample and Mark H Weaver!

Regarding GNOME Core Applications and modifications to current "gnome" package, FYI, I have filed this https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35586.

Recently, I have been given this link (https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps) which lists all GNOME Core Applications that are to be added to guix's gnome package.

Whether or not to do this, I think the package with the name "gnome" in any distribution should always reflect the vanilla gnome suite released by GNOME Project. Any modification to it, I think, should be packaged under different name like "gnome-minimal" or gnome-extras" etc. This can be a good standard.

My suggestion is,
gnome --> GNOME Core Libraries+Utilities+Services+Apps
gnome-minimal --> GNOME Core Libraries+Utilities+Services ( Provides only dm, wm, menus, settings etc. witout any apps)