guix-devel

Re: Parameterized packages

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Parameterized packages
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 16:23:11 +0200

Hi,

This would be an awesome feature!

It seems to be one of the very few features that's missing compared to,
say, Portage (the famous USE flags).

I lean towards Tobias' suggestion: a dedicated field might be better.
The first issue that comes to my mind with package properties is "how do
we make the distinction between the "parameters" and other
non-user-facing properties?"

We need to be able to list the parameters/options of individual packages
as well as all options across all packages.  We could even offer
completion from the command line.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt