guix-devel

Re: [BLOG] custom kernel config

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: [BLOG] custom kernel config
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 20:38:22 +0300

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 04:57:28PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Efraim,
>
> Like I wrote before, I like the tone and how the post addresses the
> topic.  So I just have minor cosmetic suggestions, and then I guess you
> can push to guix-artwork.git and we can put it on-line maybe tomorrow?
>
> Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > Guix is, at its core, a source based distribution with substitutes, and
>                                                          ^~
> Perhaps link to
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Substitutes.html>
> here.

Done

> > as such building packages from their source code is an expected part of
> > regular package installations and upgrades.  Given this starting point,
> > it makes sense that efforts are made to reduce the amount of time spent
> > compiling packages, and recent changes and upgrades to the building and
> > distribution of substitutes continues to be a topic of discussion within
> > Guix.  One of the packages which I prefer to not build myself is the
>        ^
> Start a new paragraph here?

Ok

> > The linux-libre kernel package definition is actually a procedure which
>       ^
> Please make sure to write `linux-libre` (with backquotes) for all the
> identifiers, file names, and commands that appears in the post, notably
> all the CONFIG_* identifiers.
>
> Perhaps you can also link to
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/linux.scm#n294>?

I also added one when I got to the snippet referencing line 379.

> > (define-public linux-libre-macbook41
> >   ;; XXX: Access the internal 'make-linux-libre' procedure, which is
> >   ;; private and unexported, and is liable to change in the future.
> >   ((@@ (gnu packages linux) make-linux-libre) (@@ (gnu packages linux)
> > %linux-libre-version)
>
> Can this one be rewritten using the ‘inherit’ idiom that was discussed?
> If not, that’s probably OK since you explicitly write that this is not
> the recommended approach.

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible. We're modifying the output
from the `make-linux-libre` procedure, not the package and its inputs
it's wrapped in. I don't think it's possible without calling the
procedure, at which point we may as well call it directly.

I also didn't parameterize the %linux-libre-5.1-patches reference, but
buyer beware on that kernel definition :)

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר