guix-devel

Re: Packaging FreeCAD

From: John Soo
Subject: Re: Packaging FreeCAD
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 08:27:02 +0000

Hi Guix!

I'm excited to announce that I opened FreeCAD for the first time this evening thanks most recently to support on the FreeCAD forum! I am no expert in the use of the application, however, so I am sure some issues might be discovered with use. I already know of the following two issues:

 - Bundled third party packages. Among them: SMESH (from salome or a fork), Pivy (from coin3D), libkdtree++ (seems like there is no live source or maintainer), and a few others.

 - License help. FreeCAD itself is under the gpl 2.1+, however I think I need some guidance providing the correct licenses (both for FreeCAD and the bundled source)

Now where do I put the package definition in gnu/packages? I have several module definitions in my channel:
 - salome.scm for libmedfile, smesh and the supporting infrastructure
 - coin3d.scm for coin3d, soqt, and pivy (WIP)
 - python-pyside.scm for Shiboken2, Pyside2, and Pyside2-tools
 - libarea.scm for libarea
 - libspnav.scm for libspnav and
 - freecad.scm for FreeCAD itself

I am happy to finally learn to use the app!

- John

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 11:23 PM Paul Garlick <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi John,

> Another question: do we tend to try to use guix packages whenever a
package
> ships bundled with some third party source?

Yes.  The preference is to use Guix packages where possible.

Best regards,

Paul.