guix-devel

Naming of native-inputs/inputs/propagated-inputs

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: Naming of native-inputs/inputs/propagated-inputs
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 15:56:28 +1000

Hi Folks,

On the rare occasion I dip into Guix packaging, I rely on Pierre's
tutorial[1] because it has the least confusing definition of
"native-inputs" "inputs" and "propagated-inputs". Before that tutorial
existed, I don't think I properly understood the difference.

I know this is superficial, but I wonder if these names could be refined
to better communicate their use. What about:

| Currently         | Possible new name |
| native-inputs     | build-inputs      |
| inputs            | runtime-inputs    |
| propagated-inputs | profile-inputs    |

Just a thought. May even "build-dependencies"? Still doesn't explain
that profile-inputs are also included as build and runtime inputs. Maybe
"build-only-dependencies"?

Regards,
Ben

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/