guix-devel

Gender neutral documentation

From: Wilson Bustos
Subject: Gender neutral documentation
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 18:10:21 -0400

Hello everyone!
I would like to help to make guix packages,
I'm also reading documentation and watching videos about this.

But I have some questions.
1- Do you have some document which explain what means 'gender neutral' documentation.
and how that works in different languages such as Spanish?

2- Reading the the Spanish version of the GNU manual in several pages like this one:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/es/html_node/Caracteristicas.html#Caracter_00edsticas

Has female sentence instead a 'normal' - 'neutral' sentence.
LIKE: `Opera en los perfiles de usuaria, y puede ser usada con privilegios de usuaria normal.`

which say 'usuaria' to refer to the user, but that words is only used to refer to a woman.
but 'usuario' can be used to refer to a man or woman.
Using this all the time it becomes confusing to read for me, due to this I change to the english manual.

I completely respect your job I want to be part of the community and help, I know this is a really delicate topic and I don't want to make a flame war or something like that.

I just want to know If the example that I give is product of a 'gender neutral' documentation rule or just was a mistake.

Thank you so much for your help with this.
Regards!