guix-devel

Re: 04/07: gnu: strace: Update to 5.2.

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: 04/07: gnu: strace: Update to 5.2.
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 01:20:22 -0400

Hi Marius,

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> This new version of strace failed to build twice in a row on my Thinkpad
>> X200 running the Guix system and Linux-libre 5.2.5.  I've not yet made a
>> third attempt.  strace-5.1 has always built successfully on this system.
>>
>> Specifically, strace-5.2 fails 4 of its tests on my system.  See below
>> for the relevant entries from tests/test-suite.log.
>
> Yay, test failures that vary based on hardware or kernel.

Heh :)

> I found this commit upstream which touches the four failing tests,
> though I don't really understand what it does:
>
> https://github.com/strace/strace/commit/4377e3a1535a0ec3a42da8a1366ad6943f4efa0e
>
> Mark: can you try the attached patch and see if it makes a difference?
> Strace (still) builds for me with this patch, at least.

It made no difference, but further investigation revealed that the
changes implied by the patch (e.g. changing -a22 to -a20 in the
ipc_msgbuf-Xraw test) were not actually applied in practice.  Those
switches are included in the 'tests/test-suite.log' output, and they are
unchanged from before this patch was applied.

It turns out that many other files included in the release tarball are
generated from 'tests/gen_tests.in' using the 'tests/gen_tests.sh'
script, and they are not automatically updated by the normal build
process after patching 'tests/gen_tests.in', at least not when all the
files have the same timestamp.

To be continued ...

     Thanks,
       Mark