guix-devel

Re: I managed to build guix natively on Debian GNU/Hurd , what's next?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: I managed to build guix natively on Debian GNU/Hurd , what's next?
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 00:17:29 +0200

Svante Signell <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 2019-08-30 at 23:30 +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>> Svante Signell <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Where to install the bootstrap-binaries: Natively in GNU/Hurd, which
>> > already
>> > hase.g. /bin/tar from the tar package or within Guix on amd64? But
>> > installing
>> > tar to /bin does not find that file, even with setting PATH??
>>
>> That’s expected.  Guix will not use arbitrary binaries that happen to be
>> on PATH.  That’s by design.  The bootstrap binaries are at the roots of
>> the package graph – changes to them would result in the complete graph
>> to be rebuilt from scratch.
>
> Sorry but the tarballs have files like ./bin/tar Where to unpack them, on the
> native Hurd image or the guix one?

The generated archives are to be placed in the Guix source tree under
gnu/packages/bootstrap/…/.

> How is that cross-build done? Within the Linux guix image or a Linux amd64
> image? And cross package build order?

The order doesn’t matter, because in Guix the order is fixed anyway.
You just build the bootstrap binaries as a single target on your
GNU/Linux host and you’ll end up with all the archives you’ll need to
copy to the Hurd target machine.

--
Ricardo