guix-devel

Re: 01/01: services: Add ‘/usr/bin/env’ special file.

From: Jesse Gibbons
Subject: Re: 01/01: services: Add ‘/usr/bin/env’ special file.
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2019 09:33:55 -0600

Hi T-G-R,
On Sat, 2019-09-07 at 09:52 +0200, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> Jesse,
>
> Thanks!  It was linked from another thread[0] Ludo' pasted to my
> patch, though.  I've read both.
>
> Jesse Gibbons 写道:
> > Here's a post with what I think is a good argument against
> > adding
> > /usr/bin/env. I think the standard patch-shebang phase does a
> > good job
> > at preventing the potential issue, but the argument still
> > applies to
>
> So is the argument here that Guix packages would generate scripts
> at run-time that refer to /usr/bin/env?  Or just that it's
> currently easy to catch packages that install #!/usr/bin/env
> scripts?  Or something else?
>
> Neither /bin/sh nor /usr/bin/env are available in the build
> environment.  Relying on the *likely* run-time non-existence of
> /usr/bin/env in *user* environments to catch *packaging* bugs does
> not sound acceptable to me.
>
> > scripts generated by make, as I learned while attempting to port
> > pysolfc.
>
> If you have the time, could you elaborate?
It's a bit complicated.
Pysolfc has a horrible build system. It doesn't build the required i18n
unless you call "make test". Howevver, "make test" runs a script
generates python test scripts that use #!/usr/bin/env to find both
python and python2. Since they are generated by a shell script, patch-
shebangs does not catch them, and it fails to find /usr/bin/env. It's a
mess that I don't know how to solve.

I've attached my pysolfc.scm so you can observe what I mean. Sorry it's
a horrible mess of commented broken code.

--
-Jesse