guix-devel

Re: (hidden) wrapper+dependencies inconsistency=manifest fails?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: (hidden) wrapper+dependencies inconsistency=manifest fails?
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 10:01:14 +0200

Hi!

zimoun <address@hidden> skribis:

> This command lists the dependencies of the "guix" package.
>
>  guix package --show=guix | recsel -p dependencies
>
> Then this command fails:
>    guix package --show=autoconf-wrapper
>
> It is expected because the "wrapper" is not a "real" package and it is
> not exposed. Only the package "autoconf" is.
>

> Therefore, you cannot chain:
>
>   guix package -i `guix package --show=guix | recsel -P dependencies`
>
> guix package: error: autoconf-wrapper: package not found for version 2.69

Yes, but it’s a fact of life IMO.  :-)

> Moreover, the name in "native-inputs" is not consistent with the
> declared name. I mean:
>   guix repl
>> ,use(guix)
>> ,use(gnu packages package-management)
>> (package-native-inputs guix)
>> (map car (package-native-inputs guix))

This gives you the list of labels for each input.  The labels do _not_
have to match package names; they can be anything, there can even be
duplicates, etc.  You should not rely on them at all to identify
packages.

Eventually, once build systems use gexp, I hope we can even get rid of
these labels.  Guix 2.0.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Ludo’.