guix-devel

Re: guix describe -p and Guix commit?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix describe -p and Guix commit?
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 18:00:24 +0200

Hi Ludo,

Thank you for explaining.

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 10:06, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> zimoun <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > How to track from which channel and commit the packages in a profile come
> > from?
>
> Pro tip: open the ‘manifest’ file of the profile, and search for
> “provenance”.  You’ll see things like:

Oups! I scrolled this file but I missed the feature.
It is what I have looking for. :-)

> It’s an undocumented and unused feature, mostly because I wouldn’t know
> how to expose it at the CLI level.  Ideas welcome!

The easy CLI modification is "guix package --list-installed" to expose
the commit and URI (and branch).
I will give a try.

One step further: the record <manifest-entry> should be compliant with
the option file '-f' or manifest '-m' of "guix package" (or "guix
pack").
Say, I created a profile, did some pulls, installed and removed
packaged. Now I would like to easy "reproduce" this messy
computational environment to another machine. Say I copy
'<profile>/manifest' to 'my-mess', then if I can run "guix package -p
my-profile -m my-mess" (or "guix pack"), I would be happy. ;-)
Or if some compliance of '<profile>/manifest' and the option '-m'  is
not possible, perhaps a way to convert this <profile>/manifest into a
'-m' manifest.
Maybe, is it already possible? Re-instatiate the tools from a profile.

What do you think?
Does it make sense?

> > What I would expect is:
> >  guix describe -p my-env
> > Generation 5   Sep 20 2019 17:21:30
> > emacs 26.2 asdf12
> > guile 2.2.4 z56qwe
>
> This seems to be a mixture of ‘guix describe’ and ‘guix package -I’,
> right?  I’m not sure what you’re expecting here.

You have right. My mind was not clear. :-)
I am expecting a better "guix package --list-installed". :-)

All the best,
simon